Airports are complex systems, composed by a multitude of enterprises, concessionaires, retail shops, airlines, service companies, public agencies (air traffic control, customs and border control) and public safety organizations.
With the term "SMART airport" we intend the ensemble of solutions, devices and services that optimize and automate the usage of airways and airspace infrastructures,checkpoints, passengers-luggage-cargo control system, info points and internal communications of the airports and also smart connections with technologies similar with the smart cities. Smart airport applications are segmented into core applications and business applications and include but are not limited to: smart transport and parking, smart retail, hospitality, and entertainment, smartworkplaces, smart airport processes, and smart business-to-business services.
The objective of the feasibility study is to identifyand characterize space based services in the smart airports domain; to carry out an analysis of their technical feasibility and viability, make a selection of the most promising ones and propose a roadmap for future implementation.
- Asset location and tracking
- Manned and unmanned air vehicles positioning,
- Airport operations
- Tracking and tagging of mobile assets or assets beyond line-of-sight
- Monitoring of conditions, infrastructure, maintenance/repair operations
- Remote training and guidance
- Secure communications
- Backup to terrestrial networks
- Monitoring, mapping, change detection and forecasting of assets and resources
- Environmental sustainability
- Meteorological services
- Tele-operation for maintenance support, remote training, guidance, assistance
SUPPORTING BUSINESSES DEVELOPING SPACE SERVICES FOR SMART AIRPORTS
In the frame of the feasibility studies, the European Space Agency offers support to companies for business case assessment and development of new Space empowered services for smart airports.
- Zero-Equity Funding up to €250K per Activity
- Technical & Commercial Guidance
- Access to our Network & Partners
- Brand Credibility
RELEVANT SMART AIRPORTS TOPIC
For this feasibility study, topics of relevance related to Smart Airports include but are not limited to:
- Enhance Passenger experience
- Improve operational efficiency
- Smart Cybersecurity; Move towards greener airports
- Increase safety of operations in and around airports
WHAT ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
- Motivated team with business and domain expertise
- Attractive market opportunity and customer engagement
- Commercially viable service concepts
- Technically feasible solutions enabled by Space
Dateline for submission: 6 April 2018
Source: European Space Agency
Illustration Photo: Düsseldorf international airport (CC0 Creative Commons from Pixabay.com)