Nominations are open for 2019 BBVA Foundation Frontiers of Knowledge Awards that recognize fundamental contributions in a broad array of areas of scientific knowledge, technology, humanities and artistic creation.
- Basic Sciences (Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics)
- Biology and Biomedicine
- Information and Communication Technologies
- Ecology and Conservation Biology
- Climate Change
- Economics, Finance and Management
- Humanities and Social Sciences
- Music and Opera
The BBVA Foundation Frontiers of Knowledge Awards consist of 400,000 euros, a diploma and a commemorative artwork in each of their eight categories.
- Candidates may be one or more natural persons of any nationality, without limitation of number, that have made independent or convergent contributions to a given advance, whether due to a formal collaboration (with the nominees belonging to one or more groups) or parallel working.
- The awards are also open to scientific or cultural organizations that can be collectively credited with exceptional contributions to scientific knowledge, cultural creation or the fight against climate change.
- Awards may not be granted posthumously.
Illustration Photo: NCATS scientist Miao Xu performs cell culture in NCATS Therapeutics for Rare and Neglected Diseases Biology Tissue Culture Lab. (credits: Daniel Soñé Photography / National Center for Advancing Translational Sciences / Flickr Creative Commons Attribution 2.0 Generic (CC BY 2.0))