Call for Applications: Startup Station Singapore to empower startups based in Singapore or within Southeast Asia
Singapore - October 2, 2018
Facebook, in partnership with the Infocomm Media Development Authority (IMDA) of Singapore, today unveiled Startup Station Singapore, a six-month program to support innovative data-driven startups that are developing the next generation of business solutions today. The program aims to help establish a model of data innovation for Asia and the rest of the world. This program is Facebook's second data innovation startup program globally, after France, and the first in Asia.
Set to kick off in February 2019, the program will empower startups to accelerate their businesses in new and cutting-edge ways, while continuing to keep peoples’ trust, transparency and control over their data at the core. The first cohort will consist of startups from Singapore and around the region.
“Southeast Asia is home to some of the most exciting startups in the world. We're thrilled to support a new generation of regional startups who have the potential to create jobs and grow the economy. Through our partnership with IMDA for Startup Station Singapore, we will be able to give startups the infrastructure and access they need to refine and scale their business models,” said Alvin Tan, Head of Public Policy ASEAN, Facebook.
“We are happy to work with industry partners such as Facebook who will help enrich our start-up ecosystem by bringing its expertise in key Digital Economy areas such as Artificial Intelligence, product innovation and data protection with a global approach; Coupled with our strong push to develop data collaboratives and data sharing frameworks, this ensures that Singapore continues to be an attractive location for start-ups to site their data-driven projects, test innovative ideas, develop solutions and springboard into new markets,” said Tan Kiat How, Chief Executive, IMDA.
The program will offer to startups:
- Mentorship: Access to industry leaders, Facebook experts and mentors with expertise in artificial intelligence, product innovation, growth, and data protection from the world over.
- Connections: Opportunity to network with regional venture capitals and investors via demo day at the end of the program. The startups that graduate from the program will be invited to join Facebook’s startup alumni program that will connect them to a global network of startups.
- Training: Powered by Rainmaking, a global cooperative of entrepreneurs, Facebook will provide training modules in short, intense sprints to help startups advance and mature their businesses.
- Facebook Programs & Resources: Startups will be given the opportunity to be part of FbStart, a Facebook global program designed to help startups build and grow with access to free tools and services.
- Regulatory Sandbox: Facilitated by IMDA, startups will have the chance to develop new approaches and innovative ideas through the use of data in a live environment.
- Co-working Space: A physical office space in Singapore for participating start-ups, that connects the innovation community to collaborate, build and access key markets. The space is well equipped with prototyping lab, studio production, and incubation facilities that are built around design, data, engineering, ICT and Media.
How to Participate
Startup Station Singapore is open to any growth stage data-driven startup with established business model and datasets that are looking to scale their business. They can either be based in Singapore or within Southeast Asia.
Dateline for submission: 7 December 2018
Source: Info-communications Media Development Authority, Singapore
Illustration Photo: MeetShop at Tech in Asia Singapore 2015 (credits: Tech in Asia / Flickr Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 Generic (CC BY-SA 2.0))