Call for Proposals: NGO marine conservation projects in Cambodia, Indonesia, Myanmar, Philippines and Vietnam
The Blue Action Fund has announced a new open call for grant proposals focussing on South East Asia.
The present call for proposals is part of a continuing series of such calls by Blue Action Fund, providing individual grants to selected NGO marine conservation projects in developing countries. To better support regional ocean governance structures and foster co-operation between NGOs, the call focuses on a limited number of countries.
South East Asia is a bio-cultural hotspot encompassing about 20 per cent of global plant, animal and marine species. However, the region’s diverse biological resources are currently threatened by many climatic and human-related factors.
The thematic focus of projects should be:
- Supporting ecologically representative and well-connected systems of Marine Protected Areas (MPAs) through enhancing management of existing MPAs, enlarging existing ones or establishing new MPAs;
- Supporting sustainable livelihoods in coastal communities dependent on MPAs and their buffer zones.
The current expectation is that Blue Action Fund will award four to six grants from this call with a total volume of up to EUR 12 million.
- Blue Action Fund is looking forward to receiving proposals for projects that: Are situated in Cambodia, Indonesia, Myanmar, Philippines, Vietnam (in case of transboundary projects, project components can also be carried out in Malaysia or Thailand);
- Ask for a contribution by Blue Action Fund of EUR 1-3 million;
- Can be completed within 3-5 years.
- Eligible applicants are international or regional NGOs with proven experience in coastal and marine conservation in the area.
- NGOs must have shown the capacity to implement larger projects and their reporting and financial management systems must be compliant with internationally recognized standards.
- The Fund encourages applications of consortia of NGOs that include local implementing partners.
- Blue Action Fund’s procedures require that all projects must receive the endorsement of the appropriate authority/authorized body of the country or region.
- Applicants must also provide substantial co-funding for the project
Interested applicants send their concept note electronically in Word or PDF format via email at the address given on the website the with subject line “[your organization] Concept Note”.
Source: Blue Action Fund.
Illustration Photo: Mangrove Forest in Koh Kong province, Cambodia (credits: Steve Bernacki / Flickr Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.0 Generic (CC BY-NC 2.0))