H2020 CAPSELLA provide Open Data ICT solutions for all food-, field- and seed-related actors in Agrobiodiversity
The Collective Awareness PlatformS for Environmentally-sound Land management based on data technoLogies and Agrobiodiversity (CAPSELLA) provide open data ICT solutions for all food-, field- and seed-related actors in agrobiodiversity in a bottom-up, participatory approach. Following this participatory approach, CAPSELLA is involved in several pilot activities in the food, field, and seed sector.
One such pilot activity is the ‘Soil Health Monitoring Tool’, which is currently being co-designed with farmers from Greece and Italy. The web-app will interlink modelling of experimental data with participatory assessments by farmers to forecast the effect of fertilisation on soil health and the sustainability of production.
The aim of the application is to address the following needs of farmers:
- Support in forecasting the effect of fertilisation practices on soil health;
- Sharing knowledge and practices on soil-health self-assessment methodologies (e.g. spade test);
- Exchanging information on the long-term impact of farm management practices on soil health;
- Comparing model results with farmers’ field experience.
The application will be composed of four main components:
- Farm data;
- Soil health self-assessment;
- Soil modelling;
- Open data.
Illustration Photo: Soil (CC0 Creative Commons from Pixabay.com)