The Internet of Things and the convergence of HPC, Big Data and Cloud computing technologies are enabling the emergence of a wide range of innovations. Building industrial large-scale application test-beds that integrate such technologies and that make best use of currently available HPC and data infrastructures will accelerate the pace of digitization and the innovation potential in Europe's key industry sectors (for example, healthcare, manufacturing, energy, finance & insurance, agri-food, space and security).
Innovation Actions targeting the development of large-scale IoT/Cloud-enabled industrial pilot test-beds for big data applications by combining and taking advantage of relevant technologies (Big Data, IoT, cloud and edge computing, etc.). The aim is to develop industrial pilot test-beds addressing data flows from a very large number of distributed sources (such as sensors or IoT applications/infrastructures and/or involving remote data storage/processing locations) and clearly demonstrate how they will generate innovation and large value creation from such data assets. The industrial pilot test-beds shall also address the relevant networking connectivity and large-scale data collection, management and interoperability issues. The data assets available to the test-beds should be described in the proposal. Pilot test-beds should also aim to provide, via the cloud, simple secure access and secure service provisioning of highly demanding data use cases for companies and especially SMEs.
- Demonstrated increase of innovation and productivity in the main target sector of the Large Scale Pilot Action;
- Increase of market share of Big Data technology providers if implemented commercially within the main target sector of the Large Scale Pilot Action;
- Effective integration of HPC/BD/Cloud/IoT technologies in the main target sector(s) of the Large Scale Action, resulting into integrated value chains and efficient business processes of the participating organizations;
- Widening the use of and facilitating the access to advanced HPC, big data and cloud infrastructures stimulating the emergence of the data economy in Europe;
- Stimulating additional private and public target investments in HPC and Big Data technologies from industry, Member States and Associated Countries, and other sources, as referred to in the contractual arrangements of the HPC and/or the Big Data Value Public Private Partnerships.
Illustration Photo: HPC (credits: elenavataga / Flickr Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.0 Generic (CC BY-NC-ND 2.0))