ENGIE Réseaux in the Bourgogne Franche Comté Region wants to find out about innovative solutions for improving the performance of its currently-operating urban heat networks. The aim is to more accurately locate water leaks in functioning heat networks and to better evaluate leakage rates.
The purpose of this call for projects is to find a technology that will allow us to provide a system that complements the solutions that are currently being used (see annex for details of the solutions being used) to locate leaks in hot and overheated water networks:
- Quantity of reserve water
- Testing pressure drops between sections
- Injection of tracer gas
- Monitoring leaks using electrical resistance
- Listening via the floor.
- Acoustic leak correlator
- Infrared Thermography.
These techniques are not are not always sufficient for detecting leaks with enough accuracy, which can require road work to be done, sometime with significant disruption of city traffic and high costs. The nuisance and costs incurred could be reduced by more accurately locating leaks. Similarly, being able to estimate leak rates would make it possible to assess how critical they are and categorize how urgently works have to be done.
The innovative solution you are submitting should be able to:
- locate a leak to within 50 cm
- evaluate leakage flow without causing cuts in the heat supply
- reduce implementation costs.
- The system must be easy to use and robust.
Picture: Call for innovative solutions for leak detection in heating networks (credit: Engie Réseaux)
Rewards and benefits for the winners of the call for projects
- ENGIE Réseaux Bourgogne Franche Comté will give the winner 9 months to set up a pilot.
- The winner will be allowed to organize a series of tests for leaks on the Chalon-sur-Saône heating network at the initiative of and in collaboration with ENGIE Réseaux Bourgogne Franche Comté. Other tests may be held for other ENGIE heat networks.
- Depending on the outcome of these tests, a commercial partnership may become possible and potentially extended to the entire scope of ENGIE Réseaux’s businesses.
- The winner(s) and ENGIE Réseaux will also develop a communications campaign together (announcement of the winner, communication about the project implementation).
- The winning project will also get support from Nicéphore Cité, a partner in the call for projects.
Dateline for submission: 20 December 2018